Thursday, September 11, 2008

did we forget...

Today was red, white, and blue day at my school and my daughter's school. We're having spirit week, so this was one of our theme days. On most other days, like tacky day (oh, the irony here), we collect money for a fundraiser. At my daughter's school they had to pay to wear the all-American colors for their fundraisers. Did we forget?

The Gooser goes to gymnastics each Thursday after school, and then we immediately go to Arby's to celebrate what she learned. On the way I noticed a couple of flags at half mast, however several were not. I have to admit, I didn't even notice our flag at school today. Even though I don't have a window to see it, it never even occurred to me to think about our flag until I saw the others. Did we forget?

Remember the flag frenzy after 9/11? Everyone had flags on their bumpers, flags flying from their windows, flags were on every lawn and every corner. Not so much today. I've seen 3 in my neighborhood. Did we forget?

Should we point a finger toward any certain person or group of people for this? Or should we turn the finger around and point to ourselves as Americans? Have we forgotten how much we love our country? Or has our love become conditional?


"O righteous God, who searches minds and hearts, bring to an end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure." Psalm 7:9

No comments: